Stipend and Project size details for Google Summer of Code 2022 (3/5)
Let’s talk about project size and stipend
A lot has changed this year, in the past, all the projects are used to be of the same size with the same stipend, things have changed this year.
🔴 Multiple Sizes of Projects
There are going to be 2 project different types of projects one is medium-sized projects (~175 hours) and the other is large projects (~350 hours).
You can spread the project out over a longer period of time and you can even switch to a longer time frame mid-program if life happens.
Rather than a mandatory 12-week program that runs from June — August with everyone required to finish their projects by the end of the 12th week, now mentors and their GSoC Contributors can decide together if they want to extend the deadline for the project up to 22 weeks.
- For medium-sized projects:
A base amount of 3000 USD and then adjust it based on each country’s PPP value. There is a minimum (1500 USD) and maximum (3300 USD) stipend amount.
For India it’s adjusted to — 1500 USD
- For large-sized projects: We start with a base amount of 6000 USD and then adjust it based on each country’s PPP value. There is a minimum (3000 USD) and maximum (6600 USD) stipend amount.
For India it’s adjusted to — 3000 USD
- The Stipend will be paid in 2 halfs
▪ First Evaluation (paid July 29): 45%
▪ Final Evaluation (paid September 20): 55%
All the payments will be done through payonner which will charge a transction fee which is minimal.